Thank you for your interest in becoming a substitute teacher at Gurnee School District 56. The Board of Education and every staff member in the District appreciates your contribution to ensure the educational program at our District does not suffer due to staff absences.
Substitute Handbook (revised August 3, 2016)
- Apply online and upload:
- Letter of Interest
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Copies of College Transcripts
- ISBE Licensure Credential Screen
sheet completing the basic application, the following items are also required:
- Complete two computerized training modules: “A Guide to Substitute Teachers” and “Bloodborne Pathogens”. See the attached detailed instruction sheet for login information.
- Complete a two-hour Substitute Teacher Training Class at the Gurnee School District Office located at 3706 Florida Avenue, Gurnee, IL 60031. Email Lori Rupsch to inquire as to when the next training is scheduled.
Gurnee District 56 is proud to introduce Aesop as our substitute calling system. This system allows you to view and accept available open positions online. Once you have completed the two-hour training class, your personal Aesop login information will be emailed to you. At this point, you will be able to begin accepting substitute positions.
Gurnee School District 56 is proud to offer substitute classroom teachers $104.00 per day and $52.00 for a half day.
We are looking forward to a successful teaching experience for you and the children of District 56.
Employment Documents – After Completion of the 2-Hour Training Class
- Acceptable Use of Electronic Networks Form
- Acknowledgement of Understanding Form (Returning Subs Only)
- Certificate of Physical Fitness and Immunity from Communicable Disease Form
- DCFS Form
- Employee Handbook Acknowledgement Form
- Federal W-4 Form 2020
- Fingerprint Background Check Report Consent Form
- HIPAA Form
- I-9 Form
- IL W-4 Form (Illinois Residents Only)
- Payroll Direct Deposit Authorization Form
- Race and Ethnicity Form
- Statement Concerning Not Covered by Social Security Form
- TRS Enrollment Beneficiary Form
- WI W-4 Form (Wisconsin Residents Only)
Additional Employment Items Needed After Completion of the 2-Hour Training Class
- Copy of Driver’s License
- Copy of Social Security Card
- Global Compliance Network Webinar Certificate of Completion. See the attached detailed instruction sheet for login information.
Federal and State Withholding Tax Notification
Per the federal and state tax table guidelines, minimal federal and state taxes will be deducted from your paycheck under the following conditions:
- Your anticipated annual salary is under $6,350 for single status
- Your anticipated annual salary is under $12,700 for married status
In order to ensure federal and state taxes will be withhold, you may indicate a dollar amount or percentage to be deducted from each paycheck on Federal Withholding Form Line 6, Illinois State Withholding Form Line 3 or Wisconsin State Withholding Form Line 2, in addition to your normal tax exemptions.
This notice is for clarification purposes only. Contact your tax accountant for detailed tax assistance.
For Questions Or Additional Information Contact:
Lori Rupsch, HR Department
847-505-1600 (direct line)